Main Stay is a volunteer-based organization. Our dedicated volunteers play an integral
role in helping deliver our program services. For example, a single rider may need as
many as three volunteers to assist in their lesson. We welcome you to join our
incredible volunteer team to work in one of our programs, assist with animals, or share
your talents on a special event or fundraising committee.
*Main Stay follows the state of Illinois and CDC COVID-19 guidelines. Check with the farm for the current protocols in place.*
Main Stay's 2023 Volunteer Handbook
Thank you for sharing your time with the program. We couldn’t operate without you. Forms are required to be completed annually. A PDF is available, but we recommend you use our online signup forms instead. Once you submit your forms, they are automatically emailed to the office.
Please view our Calendar for program dates.
Do you love people, animals and nature? If so, you’re in the right place! Volunteers are an essential part of providing services, helping around the farm and on committees.
The best way to learn about the farm is to come for a visit and observe a session. Trainings are held periodically based on the needs of the program. All volunteers are required to complete a background check, annual paperwork and attend a training session.
Complete the Contact form, email [email protected] or call 815-382-9374 to learn more about available volunteer positions and to discuss a visit or set up a training.
Potential volunteer positions:
- Adaptive Riding Program volunteers (13+ years old)
All arena volunteers must be physically capable of walking on uneven terrain, and be able to walk for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Groomers - Groom horses prior to classes
- Sidewalkers - Walk alongside the riders and provide physical or emotional support as needed. No horse experience required, training will be provided
- Horse handlers - Lead the horse for mounted riders. Requires horse experience
- Animal Assisted Program volunteers (18+ years old)
- Assisting facilitator with horse interactions, small herd animals & rabbits, seasonal gardening activities and art projects
- Project Volunteers
- Building projects, barn maintenance, property maintenance, gardening, administrative activities
- Fundraising Volunteers
- Please contact Randi at [email protected]
- Check the calendar for the next event
- Board & Committee Member Volunteers
- Please contact Loriann at [email protected]
Contact us for available volunteer positions: